Specializing in economic policy, the basic annual income, health economics, and Indigenous economics, Greg joined the Department of Economics at the University of Manitoba in 1974. Recently he has written on the economics of COVID, telemedicine, electronic health records, the modern annuity, and urban reserves.
- In 1977/78, Greg directed the Economic Development Advisory Board (Manitoba Government) and produced a study on Energy and Manufacturing in Manitoba.
- From 1981 to 1986, Greg directed the Institute for Social and Economic Research at the University of Manitoba (ISER), where he was responsible for over $2.5 million of research, including the Mincome Manitoba experimental data. During this time, he also edited the Western Economic Review and directed ISER in convening several major conferences, books and monographs, and the publication many research monographs.
- From 1986 to 1988, he directed the Social Sciences Division of University of Manitoba Research Ltd., which focused primarily on contract research for government.
- In 1988 he founded PRA Inc. (with Rita Gunn and Kerry Dangerfield), which has grown to be one of Canada’s largest program evaluation firms. During his 27 years at PRA, Greg managed major projects in income security (National Child Benefit), agriculture (environmental protection, and business risk management), labour market training, natural resource management, and programming for First Nations. Greg retired from PRA in November 2015, but remains as a Senior Consultant with the firm.
- Greg’s research encompasses the implementation of basic annual income (he served as an advisor to the Ontario Basic Income Pilot), health economics, and indigenous economic development.
- His teaching focuses program evaluation, economic research and communication and creating viable online course ware in economics
PhD (Economics, Management Science and City Planning) University of British Columbia (1975)
Mason, Gregory, (2021), “Will urban reserves spur Indigenous prosperity?” Working Paper
Rodriguez-Llorian, Elisabet and Mason, Gregory (2021) “Electronic medical records and primary care quality: evidence from Manitoba”, Health Economics, http://http://doi.org/10.1002/hec.4249
Mason, G., Jones, S., and Helgason, W. (2021) “A modern annuity for Canada – Concrete reconciliation” , Vol 12, No 1. pp 92-111, Journal of Aboriginal Economic Development Download
Rodriguez-Llorian, E., and Mason, G. (2021) “Healthcare utilization and telemedicine: An evaluation using linked administrative data from Manitoba” Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare. https://doi.org/10.1177/1357633X20981227
Simpson, W., Mason, G. and Godwin, R. (2017) “The Manitoba Basic Annual Income Experiment: Lessons Learned 40 Years Later” Canadian Public Policy, Volume 43, Number 1, March/mars 2017, pp. 85-104 https://doi.org/10.3138/cpp.2016-082
Gregory Mason 557 Fletcher Argue Building University of Manitoba Winnipeg, MB, R3T 5V2, Canada 204 474 8670
(Site update April 7, 2021)